Companies screen for culture fit and job fit
Companies screen applicants on at least two levels–job fit and culture fit.
First, they evaluate a candidate’s fitness for the job. To evaluate for job fit, companies consider these questions:
- Does this person have the knowledge, skills and abilities necessary for this job?
- What past experiences have prepared the applicant for the job?
- Do the applicant’s strengths match the requirements for the job?
- Will this person be sufficiently challenged doing this work?
More and more, organizations now add a second layer of questioning to evaluate how a candidate fits their culture. Companies think about these questions in the selection process:
- Is our organization’s work meaningful to the applicant?
- Are the applicant’s values in harmony with the core values of the organization?
- Will this person naturally perform in ways that are consistent with how we do things here?
How well a job candidate fits the culture of a workplace can make the difference between job search success and failure. Candidates who are selected on the basis of culture fit—in addition to job fit— contribute faster, perform better and stay longer with the organization. When hiring professionals neglect culture fit, the company and the employee share the burden. Working at a company whose guiding principles and values are inconsistent with yours can be difficult, stressful and unrewarding. As you experience situations that conflict with your values, you discover how important those values are to you as a person.
Your values are difficult to change. When you don’t fit the culture of an organization, even training and development cannot easily alter the mismatch. It’s just not the right place for you and not the right life for you to live.
Discover how to screen for culture fit
Employ the information and activities in the newly published Job Seeker Manual. This step-by-step guide will help you better understand yourself and the culture of a potential workplace and to decide if the organization is right for you. Then, using your knowledge of the company’s culture, you can effectively demonstrate how well you fit.
Find a workplace where you will thrive
Begin the journey to finding a workplace that is right for you. Discover how to find a meaningful workplace where people are making a contribution and practicing the principles and values that matter to you. Use culture to get hired because you are a total fit.